Saturday 9 August 2014

U Turn

Apparently I am prepared to run Oxford!


Definite autumnal feel to the air this morning at parkrun, which saw me coveting my friends jumper and thinking about trying to find the time to get the knitting needles out again to finish mine! Nursing an injury through most of last winter it was a shame to see her back on the injury bench, with a hopefully temporary niggle in her knee, but it was lovely to have her back in her usual spot cheering us on, and for that and what's still to come she has earned the title Mrs Motivator!

Although a relatively small turnout this morning it was good to have Halfmarathongirl and parkrunfastfinisher back off their holidays. Ran a fairly steady race, my stomach complaining louder than my feet and knees which made for a change (although I'd stop short of calling it pleasant!). What was nice however was the banter as those overtaking me tried to get me to run faster! Living up to his pseudonym parkrunfastfinisher appeared just before the turn up the final hill and tried to get me to run with him, I managed for a short while but in the end had to let him go. Coming into the final straight it was my turn to shout encouragement, gaining on my friend who had run a very strong race I had no desire to beat her on the finishing line and chose instead to yell at her from behind in an attempt to make her run faster! It worked, she knocked a huge chunk off her seasons best and I didn't put myself through the unnecessary pain of trying to sprint past her only to find out I couldn't have made it anyway!

But the real reward of all of this came later when it was announced that I ran the 8000th run at Dewsbury Parkrun! Finally a parkrun title that can never be taken away from me, and for once complete contentment with my run today, albeit retrospectively!

Sitting in the cafĂ© afterwards, talking over my plans for submitting an application to the Oxford Half Marathon competition but suggesting I do it for Brighton instead, I mistakenly thought I had the support of my friends.  Turns out Mrs M didn't agree with me at all and thought I should be applying to run Oxford! A marathon runner herself in the not too distant past she managed to make the transition up to a half marathon from where I am now sound almost easy, or at least achievable. So I left pondering this new dilemma, although she knows me well enough to advise me not to ponder too long or I may talk myself out of it!

It's been a busy day, but my submission is written, ready for sending in the morning - provided I don't change my mind overnight!

M - 640
HM - 196
Distance covered              3.1 miles
Total Distance covered  179.3 miles
(Exercises not done - sshhhhh don't tell anyone)

No comments:

Post a Comment