Friday 8 August 2014

Quandary

which I think is subtly different to being indecisive!


The parkrun newsletter has been published and with it details of how to apply to be the Face of the Vitality Oxford Half Marathon. I haven't had an awful lot of time to think about it today although I have reached a decision over what I am not going to do but I am in two minds over what I might!

What I have decided is that I am not going to run at Oxford this October. It's too soon, and goes against everything I've been trying to achieve in terms of taking things slowly and trying to up my distance without sustaining any injury. BUT do I apply and suggest an alternative Face of Brighton Half instead?

Looking at the terms and conditions for their current competition, it will require
  • 1 x 250 word blog per week - nae problem! (apart from the fact that it's to be about how my training is progressing!)
  • 3 x photographs of me partaking in physical activity per week (not so keen, but they don't actually say 'running' so dog walking, hoovering, ironing, maybe even knitting at a push?)
  • 1 x video blog entry per fortnight again showing me partaking in physical exercise (REALLY not so keen, and I'm not sure who is supposed to film this, but again doesn't actually say 'running'!)
What I can't decide is whether I want to do anything that may lead to a change in what I'm doing at the moment. I know that that was fundamentally the reason behind starting this in the first place, but it's remarkable how quickly it has become the norm and my new found comfort zone!

On the other hand I can't help but think that there is an opportunity out there that has to be worth investigating. It's already a long shot as I don't meet the criteria they are looking for and it will be solely dependant on whether or not I can convince them (in 250 words or less) of the merits of taking marathongirl750 on board!

OK I've decided! If, when I find the time to actually write my submission it flows and becomes something that I'm happy with I'll hit send, if it doesn't and feels laboured I won't. (Perhaps there was something in the daily journal top tip for curing procrastination after all!)

The newsletter also came with the disappointing news that due to a backlog and an untenable process for sending out parkrun club runners T-shirts, they are being put on hold for the foreseeable future. I'm five runs away from the elusive 50 shirt I've been coveting since I discovered somewhere around run 6 that the 10 T-shirts were only for juniors! Thankfully in the intervening year parkrun has become about so much more than reaching my 50th run, so I can wait - no really I can - but I might make my own in the meantime!

M - 641
HM - 197
Total Distance covered  176.2 miles
Exercises Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment