Saturday 30 August 2014

And it's Hi Ho Silver Lining

... my sun is definitely shining today!

I was the second lady home at parkrun, all by myself, no help from anyone else, the silver medal is at last rightfully mine (at least for this week!).

I am not sure what made this morning different from the past few Saturday's, I didn't know when I started off that I was going to be able to knock over a minute off last week's time, to be fair I wasn't even that convinced whilst I was running, the only thing I can put it down to was the lure of metal!

I should point out to any new readers that this is entirely fictional and only in my head as there is no medal ceremony nor do I ever hear anyone else talk about it - but it was enough to spur me on once I'd realised it was within my sights.  Having worked out there were only two women in front of me and I was gaining on the nearer, I decided to go for it and overtake. Not recognising her I had no idea if she was going to come flying past at the end so I really tried to get some distance between us to limit her chances. Running up the hill for the last time I could hear some feet coming up fast and despite my best sprint finish I couldn't hold them off - but was ever so slightly relieved to discover they belonged to a male parkrunner and crossed the finish line ahead of my nearest female contender. She congratulated me afterwards on my run and said that she'd been trying but just couldn't catch me - I didn't tell her that that was the plan!

So for all my weeks of disappointment I am basking in the wonder of parkrun euphoria and have already decided not to run next week so it can last a fortnight!

This may have something to do with the fact that next week would be my fiftieth run and I'm not sure I want it to coincide with Gazebo Hell! There are also a couple of my close friends missing next week, so I think I might postpone the 'pleasure' of running round the parkrun course till the weekend after, when I will have the time to retire to the cafe afterwards for some much earned cake!

M - 619
HM - 176
Glasgow - 36
Distance covered              3.1 miles
Total Distance covered  213.1 miles

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, if you're not running next week, that means that I could be the 1st VF40 :-) You take the gold medal for that one every week, but if you're not there... :-) Amazing run yesterday, by the way & looking forward to the cake in 2 weeks' time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! This made me smile lots! I shall keep my fingers crossed that the gold will be yours - but just this coming week!! x

    ReplyDelete