Saturday 22 November 2014

Leeds Juggling Convention

Why did I waste so much time dreading this?!



No one wanted to be a butterfly! Or a tiger, or Spiderman or anything else I had learned how to do yesterday! But somehow I stumbled my way through a dog, rabbit, cat, numerous star patterns, magical tea cup (still not convinced I heard him correctly!) and my own personal favourite Harry Potter - on the loveliest wee boy who was so proud of himself for having been grown up enough to watch all the films including the scary bits, but floored me a little when, asked if he wanted me to just paint glasses and a scar, requested Harry Potter skin! I dabbed a fairly dry sponge over his face a few times and I think he was happy! In the end it was a fun afternoon but it hadn't started off quite so promising...

I was completely overwhelmed on our arrival - HMG having been dragged along for crafting skills and moral support!  Thankfully Al was already there, two cafetieres of coffee down and in full juggling convention state of excitement (I love seeing him so animated and gregarious) but still astute enough to notice my distress. He was great - fetching us tables, chairs and stuff from the car whilst I just stood there in a state of shock.  All set up but no interest in our stall, I wasn't fairing much better and was desperately trying to plot our escape - but there was no easy way of slipping out unnoticed as it would have taken a good twenty minutes to pack our stuff up again which is a long time to lose face, and unfortunately the ground didn't offer us the option of opening up beneath us!

Thankfully trade did pick up, and by the time the request for the tea cup came I was in full artistic flow, just as well really!  Asking for donations instead of pricing our services worked well and taking a batch of brownies was definitely a good move! A trip round the hall flogging them at the end of the afternoon saw us nudge past the fifty pounds I had been hoping for, and a donation from the Juggling Convention saw us come away with a whopping eighty three pounds and fifty eight pence!

Unfortunately I still have nine bags of creative crafting activities to shift so not entirely sure that it's job done, lucky then that we've been invited to the York Juggling Convention in January to do it all again!


M - 535
Brighton Half - 92
Glasgow Half - 316
Total Distance covered      369.3 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment