Tuesday 15 July 2014

The pressure's off

with this money spinning suggestion!


After setting up my JustGiving page on Sunday (it's there under marathongirl750) and posting a link on my personal facebook page I have yet to receive any donations. This doesn't surprise or overly bother me given how long there is between now and the half marathon in February but my lack of donations has been picked up by JustGiving and I have received an email offering suggestions on how to get those all important first few in.

My biggest problem is that I am asking the same people all the time and am in need of widening my audience so clink on the link that will lead me to "their most varied and successful ways of raising money" with interest...

Bunting?!

Apparently all I have to do is download and print their bunting follow the instructions on how to cut it out, fold over the bit at the top and glue it onto a piece of string, use it to decorate my event or front room and hey presto the compliments (and presumably then money) will roll in....

Now I know I don't consider my four years studying marketing to have been the best use of my time (especially given how little I've ever done with it) but I think it does at least qualify me to suggest that perhaps this isn't going to be the most lucrative approach in the world.

So marooned at my desk (no need to hide upstairs as it was the lounge that was commandeered as team HQ) I set about opening up a shop on Etsy - the most vibrant online market place for handmade items apparently! Stretching my IT skills to the limit (it isn't quite how I want it yet)  there are cards for sale in my shop! (etsy.com/uk and search for marathongirl750). What I am now looking for are new people to market this to - so spread the word if you can!


In the meantime I am fully expecting an email from Etsy in a couple of days to tell me that I've had no visits to my shop but I'm hoping their suggestions may be slightly more helpful, although given the nature of the site perhaps they'll suggest I make bunting to sell... could be time to get the sewing machine out!

In running news Al and I added another 3.1 miles to the total distance covered this evening with an easy jog round our usual mid week circuit. Desperately trying to concentrate on my foot placement but still not really able to work out what I should or shouldn't be doing, my knees and ankles were a little sore but there is no doubt that mentally I felt better for going - even took an apple with me to eat on the post run dog walk (although this may have been to compensate for the fact that I may have pinched a few biscuits from HQ earlier!).


M - 665
HM - 221
Distance covered              3.1 miles
Total Distance covered  153.5 miles






No comments:

Post a Comment