Saturday 26 July 2014

Thumbs up

for Team Marathongirl750


One of the numerous downsides to Al being away is that I'm spending a little bit too much time in my own company and have become somewhat introspective as a result but for once my thoughts are not entirely of a negative nature, the credit for which goes to the support network that has built and is continuing to build around me.

Go ahead from the Running Man over my shoe purchase and I'm ready for parkrun this morning, albeit feeling a little apprehensive as they still feel quite strange but once I'd left the house it was too late to change my mind.  I would like to say that they made running easier and that I flew round in my new shoes, but they didn't and nor did I, it was too hot and too much like hard work to be considered anything other than a slog BUT it felt really different, for the first time I was actually able to feel what was going on inside my shoes, I could feel where my foot was landing - and it wasn't on the heel! My ankles are still stiff, but I had no pain from my knees and instead ache in a new place altogether which I took as progress! A quick check in with the Running Man and apparently my glute medius is waking up (or in my layman terms the muscle at the outside top of my leg just below my hip!) PROGRESS! Don't really want to have to wait until Friday to go and see the Biomechanics Man to share my good news but time to get some exercises in before I go!

And that's still the hard bit. I know me, and I know how much I like the fun, interesting and exciting bit (like buying new wool, or fabric) and then am not so good at seeing the project through (there are many unfinished and not even started projects lurking under my bed!) and I am a little concerned that all this information gathering about my running technique will go the same way (and the foam roller and resistance band will be left to lurk there with the wool and fabric of yesteryear!)

I think I'm going to have to dig a little deeper to find some determination to make sure it doesn't, which is where a lovely afternoon dog walk with two of my parkrun friends (and potential Skechers converts!) comes in. Felt strange putting the world to rights on the bench in the sunshine without you Halfmarthongirl, but we did a valiant job in your absence and have been left with thoughts about what we want to have done by this time next year, which in case you've forgotten whilst sunning yourself on your hols is two half marathons down and training for the third!

My mind is oscillating between negative thoughts about why I've never really stuck at anything in the past, and optimism about things starting to come together and feeling good about the future...  I'm trying really hard to concentrate on the positives and get organised so that I do stick at it, and it does happen! All buoyed up and ready for action, I realise partly why I find it so hard to actually turn this IN to action - I cooked three separate meals at three different times this evening, which may just be another downside of Al's absence!

M - 654
HM - 210
Distance covered 3.1 miles
Total Distance covered  159.7 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment