Thursday 26 June 2014

Squats and lunges

We knew the day was coming (But apparently according to Google images it'll do wonders for my backside!)


Very early on in my blog I touched on the fact that I have a tendency to be a little conspicuous: talking to loudly, saying strange things, oh and talking to anyone. But this morning in the supermarket was a 'ground swallow me up now' moment even by my standards!

On noticing that the couple in front had an entire trolley of party food, I felt compelled ask "Celebrating something nice?" by way of making conversation. Oh how I wish I'd kept my mouth shut when I was informed "It's for a funeral" Ooops! I think I rescued the situation with my "Oh well at least you're sending them off in style" before collapsing in a fit of the giggles with the cashier once they were hopefully out of ear shot. When will I ever learn?

Later on the Greenway with the dogs, I saw an elderly gentleman that used to live on our street cycling towards me, seeing him made me smile and I waved and called hello as he approached.  He stopped cycling long enough to tell me that he thinks I am lovely and likes my attitude towards life - some you win.....!

No... I love biscuits!
Back from walking the dogs and it was off to see the Biomechanics Man. There is good news! I have made some progress. Things are not quite as bad as they once were and there are signs that my strengthening exercises are working, but whilst I am getting better at doing these in isolation they are not kicking in when I try and put them into practice on the move.  Which in turn means there is bad news, in the form of squats and lunges, and it gets worse when he tells me that the squats have to be done with a resistance band around my knees.  Next torture item is currently winging its way to me through the post, but not before I've launched into a description of my squatting exercises with a poor unsuspecting man from a random HR department that I managed to direct dial by mistake!

But the BIG news is that I've to try and run twice next week, and twice the following week, allowing a rest period of at least forty eight hours in between, and then wait a further two days before my next consultation.  This feels a bit like a proper training plan, I've never committed that far in advance to the days I will run and it feels a bit daunting, but at the same time I'm looking forward to it.  What I am less convinced about is the fact that I have been given some exercises to do as close to immediately before I run as possible, and certainly not with a car journey in between.  It's bad enough leaving the pre parkrun social for a sneaky warm up run, but standing in the park doing a program of warm up exercises may be a step too far even for me!

M - 684
Total distance covered remains at 133.7 miles (set to change on Saturday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment