Thursday 5 June 2014

A little bit OTT

and about to get worse!



I was fortunate enough today to manage a quick update with an old friend over FB.  She has known me for the best part of 20 years, and for the majority of those also known that exercise and me have not had the closest of relationships!  It is not surprising then that one of her first questions was "what's with you and all this running?" A brief explanation about feeling the need to do something to take me out of the rut I've been in for a while and we are soon in agreement that exercise is the best medicine, but that 26 miles might be taking things (quite literally) a bit far and in fact a typo of "over OTT" summed it up perfectly!

If only she knew the half of it... (I was going to say excuse the pun, but I'm quite pleased with it!)

Still not wishing to focus on the job in hand, I have spent large parts of today trying to formulate some kind of half marathon plan.  I have looked up various runs to see when they are and have a quick look at the course to see if I can make an informed decision about which one I'd like to do, although at the moment this seems to be largely influenced by how scenic the surroundings are! Currently I'm favouring Cambridge and Chester, one is in March, the other in May... and I'm wondering if I could do both! (Eeeeek!) Perhaps with Glasgow in October to finish off the year?! A 2015 Series of Half Marathon's - am I serious?!

I don't know and I'm certainly not going to be held to this (yet) but here's my thinking behind it...

Firstly, my friend who's run two marathon's has advised me to keep myself at half marathon fitness (yes I did feel the need to point out that I have to get to there first!). Secondly, I have never run that far and am a little concerned that I'll hate it (having previously professed to being a speed over distance kind of girl) so if I've already got another one booked I will have to get back out and do it again whether I want to or not! Thirdly, it might make me train and run Cambridge in a more intelligent way if I know I've got another opportunity to run a half coming up, rather than going all out for some arbitrary time (I said might!). Finally having just been back to Scotland I'm feeling a little homesick and am full of romantic notions about running in my home town (which to be honest I could just go and visit without the need to run up St Vincent Street) but don't want to wait until October to test myself over this distance.

What I am still struggling to conceptualise is how far this actually is! Al and I ran five miles this evening and there was no way when we got back that I could have set off round the circuit for a second time, let alone then again for over half of a third!

It's OK you don't need to point out how many laps for a full marathon, I get it, it's a long way! But for some reason that isn't putting me off - the day may yet come!

M - 705
Distance covered               5.1 miles
Total Distance Covered  127.5 miles














No comments:

Post a Comment