Sunday 4 October 2015

Day 532 - GREAT SCOTTISH RUN!

I LOVED IT!!!

Day started well with us not waking up until 7.50 - such luxury on a run morning! Porridge pot of gruel eaten the dilemma over whether or not to have breakfast was easily solved by my sister returning from the shop with croissants and pain au chocolat!

That said it was a lllllooooonnnnnggggg four hours wait until the start of the pink wave, but our hotel room was perfect! About as close to where we were to line up as we could get, we could hear the public address system from our room, and I was able to nip out and pop my fleece on the baggage bus so it was there at the end! All the excitement with none of the hanging around and lets face it the best bit of all - no queue for the portaloo!

Unable to decide upon my race strategy until the last minute I decided that having followed the run-walk-run method in training, I needed to stick to it in the race, and (on hearing that schoolfriendofMG750 was going to be en route just after the 4 mile mark) I wanted to stop and say hello.

Walking was really hard.  I didn't feel like it, and I didn't like the feeling of people running past me, but I kept at it having told myself I could run after the 8 mile mark if I wanted.  However stopping to talk to G and her two gorgeous girls R&R, was the best part of the race! I'd looked forward to seeing them all the way there, and it definitely put a spring in my step for quite a while afterwards. Thank you for making the effort to be there!

Eight miles in and I had a plan, phone Al, go for a wee, and then ditch the walking and run the rest! Flip belt proved to be less than accommodating in giving up it's Jelly Baby treasure as I couldn't find a slot to retrieve them through, but thankfully there were people handing them out - not the mile of sweets that C told me about later (if it existed I completely missed it!) but people who had turned up with packets of sweets to give out to anyone who looked in need! I appreciate that I am completely biased but it's true - People really DO make Glasgow! (Although that said the support over FB this weekend has been brilliant and we were so excited waiting for news of fellow parkrunner from the Brussels Half!)

Arrived at the finish line and almost immediately received my text - 1.57.26 Whooo Hoooo!!! Almost exactly the time predicted by Jeff (Galloway) and almost exactly the same time as Liverpool!  Al was somewhat reluctant to tell me that I'd missed my PB by 5 seconds, but I genuinely didn't care! No honestly!

FMG loved it, sisterofMG750 might not go quite so far as to say she enjoyed it, but nevertheless she did it!  Once again proving we are endurance athletes!!

Time with my sis cut short by her hectic work schedule and morning flight to the States, it was up to FMG and me to drag ourselves back out of our beds later in search of mojitos!

London's going to have to go some to beat this!

London -203
GLASGOW MINUS NOTHING!!!
Distance covered           13.1 miles 
Total Distance covered    910.9 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment