Saturday 18 July 2015

Day 454 - Parkrun 83

1.  Dropping in at week 6 of Jeff's Half Marathon plan - I only had to run three miles today... perfect!

2.  One of them was supposed to be a 'Magic Mile' where I run as fast as I can and the time taken is then used to predict half (and full) marathon pace and finish time.  I had contemplated doing this properly - working out an actual mile start and end on the parkrun loop and going for it.  Garmin out of juice and not having worked it all out, in the end I decided not to bother and just see how fast I could run the 3 miles.

3.  Started well, ended strongly (more on that later), fell apart in the middle! Whilst I may have started well, I actually started off far too quickly and (in my usual layman's terms) this caused me to use up too much of a particular reserve of energy (yes I was surprised to find I had any either) leaving me struggling after a couple of miles, whereas if I'd gone slower this reserve would have lasted longer - or something like that! (Annoying thing is I've been telling Al much the same thing, and may even have written about it previously).

4.  This saw me finish behind Al (who had drunk five pints the night before) and (after a sprint finish battle) a second in front of my friend who was pushing a pram! A little distraught over the fact that I don't appear to be able to run 5K any more, I have decided to console myself with the belief that this is because I have trained my muscles to respond differently, no longer built for short 'sprints' I have made the transition to endurance athlete!  And like it or otherwise I'm going to have to get used to it. It is in fact......

Parkrun 83 - 1983

5.  Mint harvested, rum purchased, ice crushed, and limes squeezed, it was time to sit in the garden mojito's in hand and enjoy a great evening in the company of Mr & Mrs parkrunfastfinisher - although I'm not sure you can really be Mrs parkrunfastfinisher on so few attendances! What you are however is a bad influence and, not for the first time, I'm writing this with a slightly sore head which I'm blaming on you L - but in a nice way!

M - 282
Glasgow - 78
Distance covered                3.1 miles
Total Distance covered   742.4 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment