Sunday 12 July 2015

Channelling my inner Martina

I'm not the biggest or most ardent tennis fan, but watching at least some of Wimbledon is an annual event and increasingly as the years go by so is staring longingly at the female tennis players wishing I looked even a fraction like them, when in reality being female is about the only thing we have in common!

I don't follow celebrity culture, but can't help but feel that my sitting feeling rubbish because I don't look anything like a professional tennis player who is twenty years younger, a stone lighter, spends her life in the gym or on a tennis court, and is more aesthetically attractive to begin with is akin to those women who do the same with celebrities who are dressed head to toe in designer clothes, having had someone else do their hair and make-up, before being airbrushed for the finishing touches!  This year however, fabulous figure and winning smile aside, it was the inner beauty of Martina Hingis that I wish I could emulate.

Posed, relaxed, graceful, happy, clearly enjoying every minute of being on court, grunt free and able to smile to herself when she make a mistake, she was a joy to watch as she was crowned both female and mixed doubles champion- and I think it's time I tried to channel a little of my inner Martina... (there must be a little bit in there somewhere!)

She was however no where to be seen yesterday at parkrun as I trudged round, annoyed that my music stopped because I had 'no internet connection' despite the '3G' symbol suggesting otherwise, cross that my Garmin switched itself off, crosser still that this is probably because I forgot to start it again in my eagerness to get my interval timer working this week, wound up that I might have waisted my money on shoes that don't fit, and struggling to come to terms with my new 'no need for speed' ethos. And lets face it she rarely puts in a appearance at home either, where I sit surrounded by the evidence that I haven't done any domestic jobs for rather a long time as I attempt to sew my fabric stash into bags that I have no where to keep and no one wants to buy!

I'm sure that she looks significantly different during training, when it's all just hard work - relentless and monotonous, and perhaps finding that grace whilst I plough through my training and sewing regimes is asking a bit much - but perhaps I need to relax (perhaps?!!!) and enjoy the end game a bit more.

I am really glad that her reality TV career didn't take off (OK so maybe I follow celebrity culture just a little bit) and that she is back doing what she clearly does best, the question of whether or not I've found what I'm best at is perhaps more pertinent, but one that I'd rather avoid for a while longer -which is handy because in a house as messy as this there's plenty of places hide!

M - 288
Glasgow - 84
Total Distance covered   731.1 miles



No comments:

Post a Comment