Tuesday 6 January 2015

Miss A Turn

... or rather nine!


Feel so much better having been to see the Biomechanics Man! Physically because he set to work on my legs, and mentally because he is confident that HMG and I will make it to Brighton to join you sis! (Apparently having run twelve miles we can run a half marathon - didn't like to say we'd heard it was ten!).

The problems I've been having stems from my weak glutes, as soon as another muscle group becomes dominant they (wait for it) take a back seat!  I am officially a lazy arse!  All is not lost however, and although not quite back at square one, to continue yesterday's board game analogy, I have landed on 'miss a turn'!

Having taken my running schedule with me for his perusal, we have decided that my next run won't be until next Thursday  and then only for three miles to see how it goes.  If it goes OK, I am allowed to do parkrun on the Saturday before going back to see him a couple of days later.  What I am not allowed to do is run through the pain... apparently it isn't heroic or a test of my pain barrier or something that will go away!

In the meantime I've been given some exercises to do, one nice relaxed resistance one done lying down on my back, one horrid tennis ball torturous one done in the most ungainly fashion on the floor. My practise attempt wasn't great, I'm not looking forward to trying it again, but I will, twice a day - promise!

Waiting in the reception area this afternoon watching people in the gym, I couldn't help but think about how little I like exercising! I want to RUN but I have no interest in doing repetitive exercises in a gym, or at home come to think of it, and not for the first time I started to wonder about whether or not I chose the right hobby!  Suddenly my enjoyment of running has been overshadowed by the need to do exercises, it's  a lot like playing a musical instrument and not wanting to practice.  I was rubbish at practising and week after week went into my lessons hoping to wing it and that the teacher wouldn't notice.  Then, as well as now, the only person I was fooling was me!  There comes a point where you can't pretend any longer and the only way to improve is to get on with the boring bit!  But I don't want to!

Looking for positives.... 1) The problem with my legs is something that I can do something about and only requires a short break from running 2) Needing to lie on my bedroom floor may motivate me to tidy it up! 3) My wonderful husband brought me in a rather lovely surprise bar of nice looking chocolate this evening - which strikes me as the ideal reward for exercises done! What am I waiting for!

M - 490
Brighton Half - 47
Liverpool Half - 159
Glasgow Half - 271
Total Distance covered   453.4 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment