Wednesday 1 October 2014

The Great Wall...

... of Glasgow?


I have received an email from the organisers of Sunday's race advertising the latest technological breakthrough, whereby messages encouraging runners to keep going can be submitted in advance and will be displayed on a big screen for the runners to see and spur them on as they run past. The really clever bit is that these messages will be triggered by the running chip on our shoes so they will appear at the right time for the runners to see their messages.  I am actually quite impressed by this, but can't help feeling it might have warranted a bit of a better name than The Great Wall of Support!

They have sent me a link to post on Facebook and Twitter, but I can't actually see how to do this without sending myself a message, which makes me wonder if I'm missing something or if the technology isn't quite as cutting edge as perhaps it could be! However, at the risk of feeling like Billy No Mates I will send myself a message so I can post the link.

What is less clear even than this, is whether or not the wall will be switched on in time for the 10K race which sets off first or saved for the main event, the half marathon.  I'd like to think that they are going to be supportive of those amongst us who haven't quite made the step up to half marathons YET (although we will be on day seven of training by then), but the information that messages can be submitted up until 2pm on the day of the race makes me a little skeptical.... my start time is 9.40 and even at our best brisk walking pace I don't think we'll still be on the course by two o'clock sisterofMG750.

But it has to be worth a go, and might even raise a smile in place of my usual running grimace, but having seen the weather forecast it looks set to be wet so I might not be able to see it through my rain streaked glasses... unless of course it really is a Great Wall and the letters are HUGE and I can read them without the need for specs! I'll keep you posted!

M - 587
HM - 144
Glasgow  - 4
Total Distance covered  257.5 miles




No comments:

Post a Comment