Tuesday 28 October 2014

Reaching my limit...

but is it all in my mind?



When talking with HMG about the psychological effect of running further distances I often try to argue that it is like when you are on holiday and you know you are coming home. If you go for a week you start thinking about home towards the end of that week, if you're away for a fortnight then it generally takes longer before the thoughts start creeping in.  Likewise if you know you are running a set distance you will become jaded and ready to finish towards the end of that distance.

Running five miles with Al this morning, I am not at all convinced of my theory! Yes I was fatigued, and definitely ready to finish at the end of it, but I genuinely don't know if I could have kept going if I'd had to run an additional three at the end - even if I'd known that I was running eight at the outset! Although that said if I'd known I was running eight I would have run slower and paced myself better - so maybe my theory holds up after all!

What is not in any doubt today however, is how tired and achy my legs are from yesterday's mini workout - I can't help but think that even when I have been doing my exercises I must have been a lot kinder to myself than the Biomechanics Man was yesterday!

I hate going to the gym, I have only been a member once in my life, when the boys were little and the lure of a crèche and an hour to myself was so precious I'd have happily spent it anywhere! But there is a part of me that wishes I could afford a personal trainer to put me through my paces and help get me to the level of fitness that the BM clearly thinks I should have attained by now! And for whilst it's not a reality and I won't have to put my money where my mouth is I'm going to sit and daydream for a while about how fit I would be if only I had someone there making me do it!

Actually what would be better still would be the dedication and strength of character to get on and do it by myself, but I seem to be struggling with that one!

M - 559
Brighton Half - 117
Glasgow Half - 341
Distance covered                   5 miles
Total Distance covered      316.6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment