Saturday 6 September 2014

Mere words are not enough...

... to describe quite how hideous it was this afternoon!


I am still learning about the limitations of my hearing. We discovered this morning that if I am lying good ear into the pillow I can't hear the alarm and that I couldn't hear the scanner 'bleep' whilst volunteering at parkrun this morning, but it is unfortunately not limited enough to block out the sound of the music festival this afternoon!

The alarm wasn't a problem, thankfully Al was there to turn it off and wake me up. The scanner was a little more tricky, it's hard to tell whether it has picked up the bar code without hearing it bleep which isn't too much of a problem when I was given the runner's barcode to scan and could move my ear nearer, but when the barcode is fastened to the waistband of male runners shorts there is a limit to how close I want to get!
The music festival, I would happily erase from my mind altogether but there's too many of you waiting to hear how it went...

Firstly may I point out the irony in trying to fund raise money for WaterAid in the teeming rain! It poured, and not just for part of the afternoon but for the whole five hours that I managed to last. This turned our gazebo (which was a bit more like a mini marquee - that leaked) from a crafting and face painting creative space into a refuge for every soggy beer swilling heavy metal fan who wanted a moment's respite from the rain.

Trade was slow and it was a little soul destroying to see the face painter earning £2.50 a face for 5-10 minutes work, when we were struggling to get a £1 donation for a lot longer! My friend who I've known for a long time had very kindly offered to come and help (although I have since learned that her offer may have been alcohol induced!) I couldn't have got through the afternoon without you Mrs J... thank you, you were a life saver!

Al put an appearance in mid afternoon and has informed me that rather than being 'thrash metal' the music was just rock, whatever it was it was dreadful!

I didn't get any OCD children to sit and sew with, but think I coped relatively well with those who wanted to do their own thing (perhaps with a couple of exceptions!).

And for whilst I really can't explain to you just how wet and souless and loud and miserable the whole afternoon was there were three good things to come out of it....
Firstly I got to spend the afternoon with my friend and we've not seen each other for ages (although I have a feeling it may be a while before she wants to see me again!). Secondly the face painter has very kindly offered to let me use her stuff to be the face painter at the Leeds Juggling Convention in November (although I may need a few lessons between now and then!). And last but by no means least, I managed to make a profit of a whole eleven pounds... which means that tomorrow is entirely a profit making venture... bet you can't wait Halfmarathongirl!

M - 612
HM - 169
Glasgow - 29
Total Distance covered  222.9 miles





No comments:

Post a Comment