Sunday 14 September 2014

A different approach

the success of which remains to be seen!


An early text conversation with sisterofmarathongirl750 this morning enquiring as to how I'm doing, ends with the acknowledged need for me to find a focus and concoct some sort of plan culminating in the Glasgow 10K - three weeks today!

At time of writing I have got as far as drawing out twenty one boxes on a blank sheet of A4 paper but have yet to fill any of them in.  I'm not entirely sure what is putting me off, but I think it may have something to do with there being more jobs that I would like to get done than there is time available, and if I can't do everything then there's no part starting any of it! 

I know what I'm supposed to do to help with this, I'm supposed to write a list and prioritise and break the bigger jobs down into smaller more manageable bits (sound familiar HM?) but I just can't seem to get myself off the starting line.  This is in direct opposition to what happens when I am actually on a starting line when I charge off as fast as I can (despite knowing that really I shouldn't - unless of course it's a sprint) but try as I might I don't seem to be able to apply any of the same thought process to my job list, so what's the difference? Competition! Without it I am struggling to find any motivation and yet I'm not sure how to instigate a cupboard tidying league table that I would find myself wanting to be at the top of! So it's not just as simple as it being a competition, I actually have to want to be good at it. 

Perhaps then I need to try a different approach.  I have two running goals (well three really but leaving the marathon aside for the time being) to run a half marathon in February and still be able to run at the end of it, and to get faster at parkrun.  To achieve these I need to run, but also do my exercises on a more regular basis than I have been doing. To have time to dedicate to doing this, I need to be organised at home. Therefore tidying, filing, cleaning etc, are all actually steps on the same road to me achieving my goal and something I should therefore be motivated to do, they are all means to the same end, yet even as I type I can already feel my resolve to get cracking slipping away from me...

An email in from Etsy offering new customers £5 off their first order, raises my hopes that I might be able to use this to persuade people to buy some cards (or a peg bag), that perhaps this will provide the much needed impetus to encourage people to give my shop a go and I'll be inundated with orders.*
In which case I won't have time to tidy or clean anything... I can but live in hope!

M - 604
HM - 161
Glasgow - 21
Total Distance covered  235.1 miles
Exercises done

* now offering international shipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment