Sunday 1 February 2015

3 Weeks to Brighton!

Just keeps getting closer!


Still preferring to stay oblivious to whether or not my IT Band has sorted itself I almost would have preferred to be in the gym this morning (I said almost!).  But I have to acknowledge that Brighton is THREE WEEKS today and I really need to start running again. Besides, when I accepted the donation yesterday from the Doggie Daycare Lady, it was handed over with the request to "run it for me" after knee surgery put paid to any plans she had to run a marathon herself - great! Now I have guilt if I don't run!

Consequently, I headed out not really sure how far I was going to run and found myself making grandiose plans to run six or seven miles, a mile and a half in and I decided to settle for four! Happily moseying along I passed someone I knew out walking with her family.  A mile or so on and I was set to pass them again. Whether it was this, the other jogger who was slightly in front of them or just an unexpected rush of adrenaline but suddenly all I wanted to do was run, and run fast. Moving off the pavement and onto the road I ran past both of them at speed, which unfortunately I then felt the need to keep up until I was out of sight and could return to my gentle plod!

For the few minutes that I managed to maintain my pace it felt good, and I'm pleased to say that my IT Band seems to have recovered! That's not to say that my run was pain free, my knee still hurt but it was in a different place and one much more associated with the fact that I just haven't run much for a while.

Post run I headed over to one of my parkrun friends for brunch, put on in honour of the local 10K race this morning that I had managed to avoid.  It was fabulous, bucks fizz, bagels and scrambled eggs, tea and cake, and the company of good friends - most of whom it has to be said hadn't run the race either! Or perhaps they were as good at hiding it as the host who looked in far better shape than I would have if I'd just run 10K in under fifty minutes! Or her brother in law who flew round in forty two!

Somehow I can't see us looking quite so fresh at the end of our half marathon - but at least on that occasion we'll have earned our champagne and cake!

M - 464
Brighton Half - 21
Liverpool Half - 133
Glasgow Half - 245
Distance covered              4.2 miles
Total Distance covered   464.2 miles




No comments:

Post a Comment