Wednesday 25 February 2015

Calisthenics

I'm so glad I realised my error before arriving at the class!


Back in the 1980s there was a fitness movement called Callanetics. I can't remember too much about it, but I think sisterofMG750 borrowed or bought a book and for a while this was going motivate us into home exercise and Jane Fonda bodies without the need to bounce around the house and 'feel the burn'.  It was an exercise programme which worked on repetitions of very small movements, and I guess was a bit of a forerunner to pilates (although I've just looked it up and pilates came first, even if I'd never heard of it in the 80's). What I remember most about it was that it was about toning your body with very little effort and I was therefore very interested to see it make a resurgence with a Wednesday evening class on the new gym timetable. 

C is thinking about training at the gym on a Wednesday evening, and although it would be too busy then for me to do my programme (any more than five people in and I start to panic!) I thought it might be ideal class for me to go to whilst he does his work out.  

Thankfully I decided that I needed to have another day off, and didn't go to the gym this morning (as had become my Wednesday morning norm) because I might have booked in for next week's class, although I'm not sure the men on reception would have allowed me to do so without questioning whether or not it was a good idea!   

On returning from the dog walk this afternoon and logging into Facebook I have discovered that the class is in fact Calisthenics and involves exercises using your own body weight - for example pulling yourself up to do chin ups on a bar (not going to happen in a million years) or doing a handstand (unlikely when I can't even balance on one leg!). I think I've had a lucky escape!*

Utterly shattered, and with very achy ankles I haven't done much today.  I did however have a lovely wee chat with schoolfriendofMG750 and told her that I was questioning what I was doing this for when it makes my legs so sore! Sat with her leg in a brace post skiing accident (wishing you the speediest of recoveries G - or at least as speedy as the NHS will allow!) she was very supportive of my efforts on Sunday and hoped that when I wasn't so tired and achy I could take pride in my achievement.  Have been thinking about it since and worked out that I lost approximately a hundred miles of training between Christmas and now - perhaps then it is little wonder that my feet ache and my legs aren't as fit as they needed to be!

M - 440
Liverpool Half - 109
Glasgow Half - 221 
Total Distance covered   503.2 miles

* Appreciated this might be the advance class!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L97-CdwEMJw








No comments:

Post a Comment