Wednesday 10 December 2014

Wait?!

Perhaps the clue was in the name...



Several years ago H decided that he was going to get into baking, books were bought and post-it notes were stuck on all the recipes he was going to make. We’re still waiting. In the meantime, I have used the recipe for brownies from one of these books many many times over!

Looking in the same book for something else to serve on Saturday I decided upon some chocolate refrigerator cake.  Chosen because I liked the look of the ingredients and, because it doesn't require cooking there is a limit to what can go wrong!  Unfortunately I didn't read the instructions all the way through to the end, because having crushed the biscuits, chopped the nuts, stirred in the raisins and cherries before adding the melted chocolate, syrup and butter, I am now supposed to leave this in the fridge overnight to set! What child or‘athlete' with a severe sugar craving wants to wait overnight to sample the fruits of their labour? Why is this recipe even in a child’s baking book?

In a world of quick fixes and a need for everything to happen instantaneously perhaps this has been slipped in to remind us that patience is a virtue and that (hopefully) something’s are worth the wait – but I'm not impressed!

Things are however, slowly starting to come together for my post parkrun cake and coffee morning! Trouble is, I have no idea how many people to expect!  I have gone from one extreme (trying to organise an afternoon tea party down to the letter with invitations sent out weeks in advance) to the other, whereby I'm kind of just throwing my house open to anyone who wants to join us, although I have stopped short of advertising it on the parkrun facebook page!  Consequently I am a mix of looking forward to having people back, and wishing that the fundraising part of my marathon plan was over!

Meanwhile the aforementioned brownies have been baked, which fortunately are delicious when eaten still warm from the oven, there's curry with the running ladies to look forward to tonight, and refrigerator cake awaiting me in the morning - perhaps there was method in the book's madness after all!


M - 517
Brighton Half - 74
Glasgow Half - 298
Total Distance covered      419.9 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment