Friday 5 December 2014

In Denial

but at least I know it!



I think today is what should be classed as an Ostrich Day! I have completely ignored all the things I was supposed to be doing (although I did make it to the dentist) and allowed myself to go on a journey of discover through the wealth of 'links' on the internet!

It started with a thought about a local half marathon being run in the early part of next year. It runs so close to our house that I thought perhaps I ought to give it a second look, to see if we could or should incorporate it into our training plan. Having already eschewed it on grounds of not liking the course, I was somewhat pleased to see that it is the Sunday before Brighton so it doesn't warrant any further thought - not running thirteen miles two weekends in a row! But in looking it up I happened across a link to my next destination... seven  perfect post workout snacks!

A quick read and I'm not fancying any of them! Combination upon combination of things that I don't particularly like. Not stopping on this page for long... no need because next up is The Runners World Big Book of Running for Beginners.

Offering tips on smart nutrition and injury prevention, plus realistic training plans, I am much more hopeful that I've happened upon something that will have all the answers I am apparently searching for. Reading on however I see that the training plans will help runners to achieve a 30 minute run, a 5K or even a 5 miler!  Oh dear, I was quite content to still consider myself a beginner, but perhaps I'm going to have to have a rethink!

There is a certain comfort around being a beginner in which you are allowed to make excuses for ignorance. It's OK not to warm up, cool down, do your exercises, eat properly, pace yourself and cross train (to name but a few) when you don't know any better! This suggestion that not only do I know better, but I should be doing something about it, pushes me into the territory of intermediate runner and I'm not sure I'm ready to go there!

It has also thrown my head into disarray over what to bake for next Saturday's post parkrun coffee and 'cake' fundraiser... I had been thinking cake and just cake (oh and fellow parkrunner's mince pies!) but perhaps should I be making something that in truth I know the marathon elite will prefer? Hmm it's a tricky one, I know I need to make changes to my diet, but I also know that I don't want to do them this side of Christmas - I would much rather stick my head back in the sand and pretend I'm a beginner runner for a while longer!

M - 522
Brighton Half - 79
Glasgow Half - 303  
Total Distance covered      404.1 miles






No comments:

Post a Comment