Saturday 6 February 2016

Day 657

I wanted to die - seventeen miles in the cold and pouring rain was just hideous. Don't do it.  Run if you want to, train for a marathon if you must, but don't run in weather like we ran in today.  I'd say it was hell, but I've been given to believe that it's a tad warmer there!

1.  Bradford parkrun was great - lovely park, nice course.  I will be going back in the summer when it's not raining, I'm not running home, and I can keep up with fellow parkrunner who remained unreachable despite two shoe lace tying stops! Congratulations on completing parkrun number 100 Mr L!!

2.  Parkrun over it was time for three (fool) hardy runners to set off on our long route home - as I was fortunate enough to be joined by two friends who are training for the Manchester Marathon a fortnight before London.

3.  I am so glad they were with me.  I don't know that I'd have made it home without them.  The pain in my knees by mile twelve was so bad I foolishly thought it couldn't get any worse as we committed to the five mile loop home. Oh how wrong could I be! My ankles seized up, my hips were at risk of joining them, every time I thought it couldn't get any worse I would step in a puddle and fill my shoe with some more freezing water, the much longed for downhill stretch was unbearable - in short, it was (company aside) the most miserable running experience of my life - yet somehow I kept moving and made it home.

4.  Never have I been so glad to see someone as I was to see the fourth member of our 'team' sat knitting in her car outside our house (no one else was home) awaiting our return.  Without her there to unlock the door I would have been found by Al several hours later collapsed in a soggy heap at the back door.  I have weighed my running kit and trainers and when they eventually dry out I will weigh them again by way of telling you just how wet we were! 

5.  I did eventually thaw and dry out but my feet remain like two excruciatingly sore bricks at the end of my legs! They've seized up, don't want to move and absolutely don't want to flex beyond ninety degrees - marathongirl?! Marathongranny more like.

London - 78
Distance covered                  17 miles
Total Distance covered     1119.3 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment