Wednesday 23 April 2014

A journey of a thousand miles begins with....

new shoes!

Over the days building up to my decision to run I decided that I needed to look after my feet!

The grateful recipient of the parkrun monthly prize draw in October my running shoes have (at least for the time being) been taken care of.  What I need is shoes to walk the dog in and sandals that I can walk in (current pairs either being too high or Birkenstocks that won't stay on my feet without me curling my toes - which is now outlawed).

So I hit the internet....

Perhaps warning bells should have begun to ring earlier when I spotted that one of the websites also sold a brand favoured by my mother (yes sisterofmarathongirl750 I really should have known better!).  But blinded by my desire for comfortable shoes I carried on regardless - only to have to return the parcel to the post office this afternoon!

How can a pair of shoes age someone so quickly? The beauty of it being that on their removal I felt instantly younger! The quest for comfy yet somehow still a little funky footwear continues!

In the meantime, I was delighted to learn earlier today that there is a more correct translation from the original Chinese that says "The journey of a thousand miles begins beneath one's feet".
Rather than emphasising the first step, Lau Tzu regarded action as something that arises naturally from stillness. 

So if I sit on the sofa long enough......

M - 748
Distance covered            3 miles (walk)
Total distance covered  11 miles

PS fellow parkrunners committing to their first half marathon next year now up to 4 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment