Friday 25 April 2014

A change of perspective

I weigh myself in pounds and ounces, I visualise height in feet and inches, I run in kilometers -
They pass quicker and I can run more of them.

So it is somewhat reluctantly that, in an attempt to subtly change my mindset away from that of a 5K runner (especially as I have a 10K race to run in May!) I have switched my Garmin to measure the distance travelled in miles.

My training for this race has been somewhat sporadic, and am blaming my current aches and pains on running too far too soon (as opposed to quickly!).  With only three weeks to race day I fear it may be too late to instigate a training program that will have any effect whatsoever, but having taken the distance I was running back down to 3 miles, I am trying at least to increase the distance in smaller increments.

Keen not to get caught out and end up running further than planned, I have been checking the distance of potential new runs in advance, but am clearly having difficulty in relating how far I think a route should be with the reality of how far it actually is!

There is a circuit that I've wanted to run for a long time but has previously fallen into the "imagine being able to run that far" category - today it moved into the "I wonder how far that is" category....

7 miles!! How can something so far only be 7 miles?! What on earth am I doing thinking I can run 26.2?

It feels inconceivable, but then again not so long ago so did the 7 mile route!

So I need to change my perspective, focus on what I can do and not worry about what I can't (ha! ha! just a small change then!)
When I do run those 7 miles it will be the furthest I have ever run and that will be a good day!


PS Thank you Lesley in putting me in touch with Chris a biomechanics coach - appointment booked for next week.

Note to all Dewsbury parkrunners... Weight loss willpower does not apply to post parkrun flapjack!

M-746
Distance covered             3 miles (walk)
Total distance covered   18.6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment